We’ve got answers!
- Gently wash when needed with soap and water or alcohol using a sponge.
- Avoid walking barefoot as a puncture will cut through the silicone and may cause further damage or tearing of the skin later on.
- CAREFULLY use a shoe horn to put shoes on to avoid constant stretching of the ankle.
- Thoroughly wash new jeans before wearing them over your prosthetic – the indigo dye, if not fully washed out, will permanently stain your skin.
- Never use self-tanning lotion on your prothesis – it will permanently stain your skin.
- If your prosthesis has acrylic nails, never use nail polish remover with acetone as it will destroy the nails. Always use non-acetone nail polish remover. Play it safe and bring your own non-acetone remover and nail polish to be used on your acrylic nails at nail salons (some salons use acetone to water down their nail polishes).