- Fast and easy donning/doffing
- No more fit issues due to weight gain/loss
- No problems with perspiration since no liners are required.
- No pressure sores or skin irritation.
- Better outcomes for hard-to-fit patients, such as those with very short residual limbs.
In short, osseointegration can allow amputees to wear a prosthetic for longer periods of time with greater comfort than a typical socket prosthesis which in turn provides better quality of life!
Nearly anyone with a prosthesis can be a candidate for osseointegration, as it is currently offered for above and below knee amputees and above and below elbow amputees. In addition, osseointegration can be used to affix maxillofacial prosthetics and finger or toe prosthetics.
A Step Ahead has been on the forefront of osseointegration for years and is proud to be a center for osseointegration resources! In 2008, Erik Schaffer, C.P. traveled to Sweden to meet with Dr. Rickard Brånemark of Integrum, a pioneer in osseointegration surgery. Even though it had not been approved in the USA, Erik saw the enormous potential of osseointegration for A Step Ahead’s patients and began collaborating with some of the world’s top orthopedic hospitals and surgeons to further the cause of osseointegration.